selected two topics to write on from the file attached 2 pages per topic
Select two of the following to discuss in essays of approximately 2 to 2 ½ pages each.
- Discuss the Romans’ ideas on and establishment of the res publica.
- Discuss why in an empire in which a multitude of religions co-existed fairly peacefully and without interference from the imperial government Christianity was seen as a problem, and at least sporadically Christians were persecuted and often executed. Also comment on why while usually[though not always] those of Christianity’s parent, Judaism, were tolerated by the imperial government.
- Charlemagne – on the base of the conquests of his father – created the largest empire since the collapse of the Roman Empire in the West in what had been that territory. Discuss his empire, its extent, its government, in what ways it was like the old Roman Empire in government and in what ways different.
- Discuss the influence of Rome – especially the Republic of Rome and the Founding Father’s classical education – on them as they rebelled against Great Britain and established government of the new United States.
- Discuss neoclassicism as an influence on early United States