Applying the Bio-Psycho-Social Plus [B PS+] Model
The main purpose of the assignment is to give students an opportunity to demonstrate their understanding of the bio-psycho-social plus [BPS+] model by applying it to a piece of contemporary media. The focus of this assignment is addiction to a substance: eg. alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, another drug. Your assignment needs to address the biological/physiological, social, psychological, cultural and/or historical aspects of addiction as they appear in the subject material you have chosen. Focus your analysis on the BPS+ model!
|From the list below, select your media piece [film, book, television show or series]. If you have an idea other than on the list, please email me
well in advance for approval.
|Provide an introduction and a brief and concise summary of the film/show/series||[3 marks]|
|Clearly define and explain the BPS+ model of addiction||[15 marks]|
|Analyze the media piece you are using through each aspect of the BPS+ model and by drawing on all of the relevant materials from the course [readings, videos, posted material etc.]||[15 marks]|
|Conclude your report with a statement of your takeaway learning||[2 marks]|
|Do not spend all your effort on a mere summary of the book/film/show you are exploring. Do that briefly – no more than half a page. Reserve most of the space for demonstrating your understanding of the BPS+ model through your analysis.|
Options for media selection:
A Star is Born Leaving Las Vegas Flight
Walk the Line
The Spectacular Now
When a Man Loves a Woman Devdas
The Glass Castle Shameless
Mad Men This is Us
Grey’s Anatomy Queen’s Gambit Indian Horse
- The 7-9 page assignment is worth 35% of the course
- Pages should be
- Use double-spacing between
- Use one-inch page margins
- Use 12-point Arial or Times New Roman
- References should be in APA
- There should be a title page with:
- Your name
- Student number
- Date of submission,
- Instructor’s name
- Course name and number
- The title of the paper
Remember: The title page and references do not count in the page limit.
- You may use headings.
- You may use first person [i.e. I/my]
- The assignment will be submitted through Turnitin
- A late penalty of two marks per day will be applied unless an extension is granted
prior to the due date.
o Please use only the course resources for your research, no outside sources!
Marks will be awarded for:
- How well you research the topic integrating the course texts and resources,
- How clearly you are able to articulate your understanding of the BPS+ model
- How effectively you analyse and comment on the addiction issues present in your chosen media piece and
- How clearly you organize and communicate your ideas in
o Since this is an academic assignment, and not just an ‘opinion piece,’ it is essential to cite your sources in the body of the paper in APA format; also, be sure to provide a bibliography or list of references at the end of the report. Remember if you are using the work and/or ideas of others, it is crucial to cite your sources! A good tip is to ask yourself ‘how do I know this to be true?’ and then cite your source. Pease use only the course resources for your research, no outside sources!