Create posts in response to the architecture and poetry of the Alhambra Palace OR the Al-Mughira Pyxis.
This assignment requires 3 separate posts:
- An initial essay of 200 to 300 words in response to the primary source listed below (due on Saturday, Oct. 2, at 10 PM).
- Choose topic A or topic B below.
- Read the sources listed for the prompt you choose and respond to the questions.
- Alhambra architecture and poetry. Read the following excerpts from the poetry in the Palace of the Lions at the Alhambra in Granada, Spain. CLICK HERE(Links to an external site.).Based on the architecture, decoration, poetry, and setting in the Palace of the Lions, interpret the meaning of either the Lion Fountain or the muqarnas domes in the Hall of the Two Sisters, referred to as “Gemini” in the poetry. You may also wish to browse the following article to provide background for your essay: Rabbat, Nasser. “The Palace of the Lions, Alhambra and the Role of Water in its Conception.” In Environmental Design: Journal of the Islamic Environmental Design Research Centre 2, edited by Attilo Petruccioli, 64-73. Rome: Carucci Editions, 1985. CLICK HERE. (Links to an external site.)
(Links to an external site.)There are also many other images online if you Google “Alhambra Palace of the Lions” and “Alhambra Lion Fountain” and “Alhambra Hall of the Two Sisters”.
To watch a video with additional images of the Palace of the Lions and its Hall of the Two Sisters and domes, click here. Note: The Palace of the Lions is shown at 4:05 until 6:20 minutes in the video. CLICK HERE. (Links to an external site.)
- The Al-Mughira Pyxis. Read the following article assigned for this week: Prado-Vilar, Francisco. “Circular Visions of Fertility and Punishment: Caliphal Ivory Caskets from al-Andalus.”(Links to an external site.) Muqarnas 14 (1997): 19-41. How does the author interpret the meaning of the iconography represented on the pyxis presented to Al-Mughira (the youngest son of the deceased Umayyad caliph ‘Abd al-Raḥmān III) ? Do you agree or disagree with this interpretation? State specifically why or why not and back up your arguments with analysis of the visual elements of the pyxis. Please study images of the Al-Mughira pyxis carefully to assist with your analysis:https://collections.louvre.fr/ark:/53355/cl010329109 (Links to an external site.). Note: You can zoom in on these images, but must advance through the thumbnails below the main image of the pyxis using the right arrow button. There are also many other images of this pyxis online if you Google “al-Mughira pyxis”.
- Adhere to the following guidelines in your essay:
- Analyze the main elements and iconography of your work of art/architecture.
- Relate them to the themes raised in the Alhambra poetry (prompt A) or article by Prado-Vilar (prompt B).
- Express original ideas and arguments.
- Cite relevant information from the above sources in your prompt support your ideas. However, please keep quotes and paraphrases short and to a minimum.
- Cite all your sources, using Chicago Turabian Notes and Bibliography style. For guidelines on Chicago Turabian Notes and Bibliography style, click here.(Links to an external site.)To view a short video on formatting in Chicago Turabian style, click here. (Links to an external site.)
- Include quality details of the Lion Fountain or Gemini to support your essay.
- Submit your first post in one of the following formats:
- Written essay in Word Docx or PDF attached to this discussion. Use Times New Roman font in 12 point black ink, double spaced.