5CO01 Tips & Hints V2
***TASK 1 HAS TO HAVE ALL THE ELEMENTS OF THE REPORT TO PASS***
Check your work before submitting.
If you do not click ‘Submit Assignment’ your assessment remains in draft and will not
The focus is 2 different structures so that you can compare.
- 2 different organisations = products/services and
- Advantages, disadvantages, and relevance of these
The focus is strategic alignment with revenue generation, products/services, and customers.
- A short insight into strategy Then 2 reasons why strategy should be aligned with revenue generation, products/services, and customers.
Drill down to each element to evaluate:
- Strengths and drawbacks of aligning strategy with revenue E.g.:
|Increase profit||Not aligning could result in profit decline|
|Improve expansion opportunities||Focusing on revenue alone could result in customers/clients paying higher costs and leaving|
Summary paragraph underneath
Then do the same for:
- Strengths and drawbacks of aligning strategy with products services
- Strengths and drawbacks of aligning strategy with customers
Produce a PESTLE and place in the appendices. Then:
- Take 3 factors and talk about the positive and negative impacts of these, on the E.g., Brexit, Covid, legislation changes, industry issues, reducing carbon footprint, change in spending habits.
- Within this discussion, link each factor with a trend g.:
- Factor = Introduction of AI/AR
- Trend = Using advanced technology in L&D
1.4 & 3.3
These are 2 criteria that naturally link. Give equal focus to each element:
- 2 business issues and causes
- g., high turnover due to lack of development opportunities
- What is the impact of the issue on product/service delivery? What, then, becomes a priority?
- g., low staff, low morale
- Priority = improving succession and career development
- What is the impact on people practices (actions/solutions)?
- Improved recruitment
- Talent management programmes
- Performance management
Your focus is 2 ways that people practices (e.g., HR policies/procedures and systems) can impact on organisational systems and structures.
Key areas include policy, employment, management and development of people, performance, organisation design.
It makes sense to have 2 paragraphs here. Aim for one positive way and one negative way:
- L&D policy impact on the organisational structure – is this aligned, and does it
influence the company’s ability to retain and develop talent?
- The strategic influence of HR in terms of “place at the top table” or through operational impacts such as HR business partners, and the support they can provide to
- The impact of the recruitment system on the type and capability of individuals who are recruited. Does this match the organisation structure and requirements?
The focus is the way technology impacts:
- People – g., wellbeing and work life balance.
- Work – what we do – g., HR using HRIS, L&D using LMS, meetings using Teams.
- Working practices – how we do it – g., digital remote/collaborative working, automation replacing mundane tasks etc.
Make a judgement on the impact of technology on working practices.
Finally, a paragraph on emerging scale of the use of technology within organisations. What is new? What is changing? What impacts does it have?
**Use the insight reports on the front of the assessment brief**
The focus here is to explain and interpret 2 approaches/models/theories of organisational human behaviour and the impact of these behaviours on individuals, groups, and teams.
- Team dynamics models such as Belbin or Tuckman
- Motivation theories such as Maslow
- Leadership styles such as transactional leadership
You can put descriptions in the slides and, when you interpret them in the notes, only parts of the models/theories need to be applied in context e.g., the importance of the forming stage of Tuckman, using an example of a project team formation.
The focus her is reasons, models, and impacts of change. Two Drivers for change
Ideally 1 internal and 1 external
Evaluate (strengths, weaknesses, judgement)
E.g., Covid, digital transformation, restructure, expansion, demographic changes, people spending differently etc.
2 Models of change
- Describe 2 models – you can do this in the E.g., Lewin & Kotter
- How are they used in context? Apply them in an
- Evaluate effectiveness – which is better (in the situation you present)?
2 Models of how people experience change
- Describe 2 models – you can do this in the E.g., Kubler-Ross, Coping cycle or
- How are they used in context? Apply them in an
- Evaluate effectiveness – which is better (in the situation you present)
Here the focus is on explaining how diversity and inclusion can build a positive culture.
You could briefly start with a definition, then consider some reasons for having a positive culture through diversity and inclusion. You could also link this with legislation, putting some key data on the slide perhaps.
Then aim for 2 paragraphs:
- Steps that organisations can take to increase diversity and inclusion g., fair recruitment, celebrating diversity, engagement, ‘your voice’ etc.
- Impact on culture if these steps are not followed e.g., litigation, poor reviews, negative impact on brand, low morale
The focus here is to assess 2 different ways that people practices can impact culture and behaviours. **1 positive way and 1 negative way**.
Think about the context of the assessment, your own examples and general good practice.
|Motivation through reward and recognition||Lack of development resulting in poor performance|
|Work life balance through psychological contract and trust||Poor benefits resulting in low engagement and retention|
**Apply context and external insights**
The focus here is the importance of wellbeing in the workplace, and factors that impact it.
Be clear on the action word ‘ASSESS’. (Strengths, weaknesses, judgement)
- Assess the importance g., link to job satisfaction, motivation, behaviour, and commitment. You could look at the Psychological Contract (there is a good CIPD factsheet you could reference.)
- Assess impacting factors g., manager support, L&D, high targets, levels of reward and trust.
This is about bringing the employee life cycle to life and critically discussing the stages.
You could provide and image and brief description of each stage in the slides, then in the notes talk about the stages in your own experience and/or in a good practice sense.
Think about the stages in real life. E.g., what is the value of getting recruitment right? What experience do you have here? Why should we provide a positive exit experience? What if we did not?
How does the life cycle link with your experience/ideas of best practice? (Positive and negative.)
You can also bring in the organisational context from Task 1 here.
The focus here is to assess the alignment between People Practices, strategy, and other operational functions.
You could split this up, e.g.:
If a strategic objective is to develop new products, the People Practice focus might be recruiting the right people.
Other examples include:
Suitable policies Workforce Planning L&D
People practices and other functions
Line manager support via training and coaching Legal Advice during disciplinaries.
L&D to improve performance.
**Include some strengths and drawbacks in your assessment**
The focus here is to explore 2 different approaches for engaging with internal customers to establish their needs.
As this is a discussion, your own insights and opinions are welcome. Approach 1 Example:
Stakeholder analysis – define, describe, provide an example in context, and consider value.
Approach 2 Example:
Consultation and communication – define, describe, provide an example in context, and consider value.
Finally, you need to explain the stages of project planning and how each stage links with customer need.
You could start with an external reference to a project management process. Use a project example (real or hypothetical)
You could set it out like this:
Brief description of a project you have been involved in.
How did the idea come about? How did you consider customer need?
The plan itself. What involvement did the customer have?
Execution of the project. How did you include the customer?
Monitoring and control
Reporting, progress, timeline, validity, relevance. What involvement did the customer have?
Agreement, with the customer, that is it complete.
Learn and improve. Customer discussions and reporting.