ITE501/490: Cloud Computing
Submission Date: 25th of September, 2021
Part A: Comparison of different cloud service providers (5 Marks)
Cloud computing is Web-based computing which allows businesses and individuals to consume computing resources such as virtual machines, databases, processing, memory, services, storage, messaging, events, and pay-as-you-go. Cloud services often improve upon older ones. For example, the pay-as-you-go model charges for resources as they are used. Unlike traditional computing, if you do not use any resources, you do not need to pay.
The purpose of this assignment is to get students familiar with different cloud service providers in the market and the services they are offering. The assignment requires students to do the following:
- Explore and briefly discuss top 5 cloud service providers and the reason that makes them unique from all other cloud service providers.
- Select three of the cloud service providers from your list and research about the services they provide (excluding IBM Cloud). Compare and contrast between the cloud service provider you have chosen in terms of services they are offering (i.e., IAAS, PAAS, SAAS).
- Create a trial account for one of the cloud service provider and explore the different services it offers. Take screenshots while using some of the services and include them in your report.
Tip: please select AWS as one of the providers, create account and use that in your comparison for this assignment. We will be using AWS in the coming weeks.
Part B: Case Study for Cloud Implementation (2.5 Marks)
In this part you are required to select an organization i.e., Netflix, Amazon, Carrefour, Dropbox, AirBnb etc., and discuss how that organization is using cloud computing to provide better services to their customer. What kind of cloud services are they using to provide different services?
How that organization is taking advantage of the benefits offered by the cloud service provider (i.e., scalability, on demand service, availability, elasticity etc.). Can you think of any disadvantages of using the cloud services for that organization?
The report should contain the following sections
- Title Page
- Main Body of the report
- Research you have conducted
- Screenshots of different cloud features you have explored and relevant output and discussions
Submission guidelines: Please submit your assignment in a document or PDF format on blackboard. The report will be checked for plagiarism make sure to properly acknowledge all the sources. The report should not exceed 10-12 pages excluding the title page and references. Late submissions will be penalized.