Paper 1 (5 double-spaced pages, not including images)
Choose two subject groups. “Scenic” and “People” are examples of subject groups. From each group choose two images that you like. Contrast and compare each pair of images.You do not need an introduction or conclusion for this essay, but simply compare and contrast the images using the questions below.
In descriptive language, consider some of the following questions:
- What is most attractive about each image?
- How do color and/or composition unify the images?
- Is there an illusion of depth? If so, what establishes a sense of three-dimensionality?
- Is there variation in the degree of detail or breadth?
- Does composition correspond with image’s shape? Is there cropping (that is, do the borders of the picture slice off any part of the things represented)? If so, what is the effect of this on the composition?
- Consider the vantage point established by the artist: Are the figures, things, or objects in the paintings presented as if they were directly in front of you, at eye level, or do you view them from below or above? Do you view them from a distance, or at close proximity?
- Does the artist establish a mood?
- What is emphasized in each image? Does the artist distinguish between major and minor elements?