IDS 402 Final Project Part One Guidelines and Rubric
This course explores wellness and its impact on the world around us. Wellness influences society, and society influences wellness, creating a feedback loop between them. We will critically analyze this feedback loop in this course through social, historical, and theoretical approaches to wellness as well as the four general education lenses: history, humanities, natural and applied sciences, and social sciences. Each of these four perspectives allows us to better understand the construction of wellness and its interrelation with society. From this enhanced understanding, you will be equipped to draw connections between wellness and your personal and professional lives, helping you to become a better-informed citizen who can make a positive difference in the world.
Wellness has a pervading influence into many aspects of society, which requires diverse knowledge and perspectives to investigate and change. The purpose of this project is to examine a specific issue or event in wellness and how it impacts individuals and society through the development of a critical analysis portfolio and a presentation in which you will demonstrate your ability to think critically, investigate, and communicate clearly. These skills are often necessary to achieve personal and professional goals across many disciplines.
In this assignment, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following course outcomes:
- Analyze the various components of wellness for investigating their influence of wellness on one’s discipline of study or chosen profession
- Integrate interdisciplinary approaches for determining the impact contemporary issues in healthcare systems have on modern society
- Recommend potential applications of strategies for monitoring and enhancing personal and public wellness
- Assess cultural and social attitudes, choices, and behaviors for their implications to lifelong health and wellness through the incorporation of diverse perspectives and viewpoints informed by relevant literature and peer experiences
For the first part of this project, you will select a specific issue or event in wellness and critically analyze it through the four general education lenses: history, humanities, social sciences, and natural and applied sciences. Through viewing the issue or event through these lenses, you will gain insight into how the interconnected nature of wellness affects society as well as both your own individual framework of perception and the choices, attitudes, and behaviors of others in the world around you. You will compile your analyses within a portfolio that will include an analysis of each lens, plus introduction and conclusion paragraphs. Altogether, this portfolio should be 6 to 8 pages long, not counting references. Within your portfolio, each analysis should be 3 to 5 paragraphs long.
Be sure to support your analyses with appropriate and relevant evidence from theory and research.
Specifically, you must address the critical elements listed below. Most of the critical elements align with a particular course outcome [shown in brackets].
- Introduction: For this part of the assessment, you will examine the role of the individual in a global society and how issues of wellness influence aspects of culture and the individual. You will explore topics that have been discussed in this course [sociology of wellness, psychological wellness, identity and wellness, wellness and socioeconomic status, ] to help guide your analysis.
- Topic: Using the four lenses, explain how an issue or event within wellness has or has not influenced modern [IDS-402-02]
- Lens Analysis: In this part of the assessment, you will analyze your chosen issue or event through each of the following lenses to determine its impact on various institutions, using evidence and research to support each analysis:
- History [IDS-402-01]
- Humanities [IDS-402-01]
- Natural and Applied Sciences [IDS-402-01]
- Social Sciences [IDS-402-01]
- Explain how integrating the four lenses helps understand how problems in wellness impact both professional and personal [IDS-402-02]
- Analyze how social practices have been shaped by issues and events in wellness in modern [IDS-402-02]
- Using relevant research or diverse perspectives, assess the benefits and challenges of addressing issues in [IDS-402-06]
- Explain how analyzing wellness can help interactions with those of a different viewpoint, culture, and [IDS-402-04]
Milestone One: Wellness and Me
In Module Two, you will select an issue or event in wellness to analyze through the four general education lenses. You will explain the issue or event and its relationship to wellness as well as describe its connection to all four lenses. This milestone will be graded with the Milestone One Rubric.
Milestone Two: Analyzing an Issue or Event in Wellness Through the Lenses of History and the Humanities
In Module Four, you will analyze your issue or event through the history and the humanities lenses. This will provide you with a chance to practice analyzing your topic through these lenses and receive feedback on this practice attempt. This milestone will be graded with the Milestone Two Rubric.
Milestone Four: Analyzing an Issue or Event in Wellness Through the Lenses of the Natural and Applied Sciences and Social Sciences
In Module Six, you will analyze your issue or event through the lenses of the natural and applied sciences and the social sciences. Like Milestone Two, this task provides you with an opportunity to dive deeper into your analysis of the topic through these two lenses. This milestone will be graded with the Milestone Four Rubric.
Final Project Part One Submission: Critical Analysis Portfolio
In Module Seven, you will submit your completed portfolio. It should be a complete, polished artifact containing all of the critical elements of the final product. It should reflect the incorporation of feedback gained throughout the course. This submission will be graded with the Final Project Part One Rubric.