Discussion Board #3: Conformity and Obedience in Sociological Research
Directions: Please read the Discussion Board #3 prompt, address all components of it in an “Assignment Post” that is at minimum 350 words long total, and then write a reply to another student’s post [minimum 75 words].
Please thoroughly read the following “Discussion Board #3: Conformity and Obedience in Sociological Research” prompt, address all components of it in a post that is at minimum 350 words long total, and then write a reply to another student’s post [minimum 75 words]. Student posts for this Discussion Board are due by 11:59pm
Discussion Board Prompt:
Be sure to use at least TWO readings from the course in your response to these questions, which you may write out in either a single essay or numbered format.
- Watch ABC’s Milgram Experiment Remake [27:11 minutes] on YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnYUl6wlBF4
- Respond to the following questions in short essay format; in your response, be sure to cite at least TWO of the readings we have done for the course thus far:
- What do the original and remade Milgram experiments reveal about the power of social roles?
- Why do you think the participants in both the original and remade Milgram experiment were willing to give increasingly high electric shocks to the people “in the other room”? In your response, be sure to avoid idiosyncratic explanations [i.e. “Suzette lacks moral courage”] and focus on explanations that reflect the use of a sociological imagination.
- What ethical problems are raised by this experimental protocol? Overall, what are the benefits and pitfalls of this experiment?